Friday, August 15, 2008

Bananas for Brownies!


Mmmm... Brownies. Who can turn down a bunch of chocolatey love right? I picked up a Vegetarian Times magazine at the store today. We can always use good veggie main dish recipes that are quick and easy. A veg mag is a great place to find them - plus the cover for the September edition declares "Homemade Vegan Cookies and Brownies"! So I bought it... I thought I'll cook the first recipe that I come to that I have all of the ingredients. We'll let fate decide if I go healthy or not.

Fate was looking out for me :) This brownie recipe is taken from their vegan recipe - we aren't vegan and have no intentions of making that change. So I included milk and milk chocolate chips instead of soy or vegan types. I love that it uses mashed bananas!

Here is the recipe I used:
1/4 c flour
1/4 c cocoa powder
1/8 t baking powder
1/8 t baking soda
1/8 t salt
1/4 c chocolate chips
1/4 c canola oil
1 small ripe banana smashed
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c milk
1 T flaxseed meal
1 t vanilla extract

Heat oven to 350. Coat 9 inch pan with spray. mix first 5 ingredients.

Melt chocolate chips w/ canola & stir. Add banana & sugar. In a separate container mix remaining 3 ingredients. Add everything into flour mixture and stir. Put in pan and bake 20 -25 min or until a toothpick inserted 2 inches from the side come out dry but middle is still soft. Cool in pan on wire rack.

These instructions are pretty simplified but that's basically it. Yummy! There were plenty of other yummy desserts too. Though I really must actually use a vegetable in my next recipe. It's only right...

No comments: