Friday, November 28, 2008

Here's a bread machine cook book that I just can't live without: Better Homes and Gardens Biggest Book of Bread Machine Recipes. I don't actually own it, I just borrow it repeatedly from the library. One day, I'll treat myself. But in the meanwhile I'll continue to treat my family.

We've had chocolate orange bread, rye, oatmeal, fougasses,actually I've probably made 20 or so recipes from this book. Each one has been light, soft and delicious. Yesterday I made the crescent rolls for Thanksgiving. My little pixie said, "Mom, these are better than out of the can!"

So here's my favorite just incase the book isn't available in the future:
2 # size

2/3 c milk
2 eggs
1/3 c butter, cut up
3 3/4 c bread flour
1/4 c sugar
1 t salt
1 1/2 t active dry yeast
3 T butter, melted

1. Add the first 7 ingredients to the machine according to the manufacturer's directions. Select the dough cycle. When cycle is complete, remove dough. Punch down. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Grease baking sheets, set aside.

2 Divide dough into 3 sections. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 12-inch circle. Brush each circle with half of the melted butter. Cut each circle into 8 wedges. Starting at the wide end of each wedge, loosely roll toward the point. Place rolls, points down, 2 to 3 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets. Curve the end of each roll to form a crescent shape. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 - 40 minutes or until nearly double.

3. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 8 - 10 minutes or until golden grown. Remove from baking sheets; cool slightly on wire racks. Serve warm or cool.

~ I made mine early, then just set them in the warm oven while the turkey rested... they were yummy and warm by dinner.

No comments: