Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Cookie redemption

After the spreading cookie incident I needed a back up to fill the cookie jar quick. I found a yummy little butter cookie recipe on a butter package and tried out a variation. They are wonderful. The cookie name is Cherry Chocolate Bits. The actual recipe calls for making a chocolate chuck cookie base and pressing a cherry in much like a thumb print style cookie. To make a jar of cherries stretch to make many more cookies, I chopped mine and added them to the dough. I made sure to drain the maraschino cherries well before chopping so as to not turn the dough pink. I really prefer the look of them and they aren't as delicate to store. They are a big hit here at home. In fact the jar is almost empty already.



Chocolate Cherry Bits (curtousy of Land O Lakes Unsalted Butter)

1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup butter (I'm sure their brand is what makes the cookies so fabulous ;)
2 eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 cup chopped chocolate
1 jar cherries chopped

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Combine sugar, butter and eggs in large bowl. Beat at medium speed until creamy. Reduce speed to low; add ingredients to vanilla. Beat, scraping bowl often, until well mixed. Fold in final 2 ingredients until just mixed.

Drop by rounded Tablespoon onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 7 to 10 minutes until edges are lightly browned. Cool 2 minutes on cookie sheet and move to rack to cool completely.

Makes 5 dozen

2 comments:

Barb said...

Those sound fantastic! I'll have to add cherries to my grocery list this week.

50s Housewife said...

Now I am seriously craving cookies! They look so good!