Thursday, January 15, 2009

The stick was negative!!!

I have to say after a life-long battle with infertility, that statement has never came out of my mouth with such enthusiasm!!... But alas we are talking about a different stick.. Actually I'm talking about my son's SPT (skin prick test) for a potential cashew allergy. Aside from the negative SPT, the fact that his diarrhea didn't initiate until 24 - 48 hours from exposure it probably wasn't a part of any allergic reaction. Sweet!

We are currently awaiting the results of a blood test to hopefully confirm these test results. Should that actually happen, pray with us that it does... we will schedule an office "challenge".. that's right, we will feed him nuts at the allergy clinic and pray that nothing happens.

The allergist did give me a fabulous resource: www.foodallergy.org which he finds to be dependable. In cruising around there I found somethings which I found to be interesting and or scary depending how one interprets these things. What stands out in my head most is this statement:

Artificial nuts can be peanuts that have been deflavored and reflavored with a nut, such as pecan or walnut. Mandelonas are peanuts soaked in almond flavoring.

I had no idea that a peanut could be deflavored and am just frightened of the processing that makes that happen. So after the peanut is stripped naked of it's identity, it is then reflavored as well. Poor little humiliated nut. I'm now curious to start searching for these "artificial nuts". We are still avoiding all nuts anyway, but I just gotta see what kind of junk this is in!

2 comments:

Lori said...

The only artificial nuts I knew about were the ones for dogs!

I really like http://www.kidswithfoodallergies.org/ which I have used a lot for me and Rowan!

Jennifer said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I will check that out.