Monday, January 19, 2009

Stop the Spread...

... of those cookies! I thought I would try my hand at some big coffee house style cookies so I went to the library and found a fun little book entitled bigfatcookies which has some fabulous looking indulgences. It instructs to use a 1/4 cup ice cream scoop to shape the dough to create that big bakery style treat. I opted to attempt the chocolate chip stuffed cookies on page 25. Bingo I thought, but this is what I got:



First I'll tell you what I did right, because my baking pride requires it. I did follow the recipe exactly. I did use a cool pan for each batch. I did use a uniform scoop to ration the goodness.

Next I'll tell you what I learned. If I don't have yummy cookies, at the very least I better have learned how to avoid it in the future. I learned that brown sugar is used to make big soft cookies because it spreads a lot, especially when combined in a recipe calling for a little less flour than usual. So in the future I will chill the dough of any cookies calling for a lot of butter and brown sugar.

I've also learned that using a product like crisco can help a cookie keep that fresh from the oven softness longer. At my house most cookies don't stick around that long, but it may explain some of those big soft coffee house cookies. That may be why they are soft and chewy even while sitting in the big case... or maybe that's just what I tell myself.

3 comments:

50s Housewife said...

It's always disappointing when a recipe doesn't turn out just right isn't it? I bet they tasted good though! :)

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I love to make cookies and I found out years ago to combine butter with either Butter Flavored Crisco of a really, really good margarine.

I think it is Target where I've been able to find a good, unsalted margarine.

This came about after much research on how to get the butter flavor I love and not have them spread so flat. Yes, mine looked just like yours.

I didn't know that about brown sugar, either!

Jennifer said...

Well, the cookies are gone so someone liked them ;)

Thanks for the tip Brenda! I haven't heard of splitting the butter with 1/2 of margarine. For me, that butter flavor just makes a cookie!