Wednesday, June 24, 2009

What breastfeeding is normal???

Who told Usborne?

I just received The Usborne Flip-Flap Body Book as part of the Sonlight P3/4 program. I am told that it introduces human reproduction, so of course I'm prereading. It's a wonderful little book introducing all body systems to little people with fun illustrations and age appropriate (but not childish) language. But page 46 is my favorite. It shows a mommy nursing her baby. Under the title 'What the baby does...' states 'The baby has milk for its food. the milk comes from its mother's breasts.' Later it states, 'Some mothers feed their babies with milk from a bottle.'

Love this! I love that it presents breastfeeding as the first obvious method of feeding. Bottle feeding is explained in a non-judgemental manner.

As for the rest of the reproduction stuff... the jury is out. This whole talk was so much easier and natural when it was explaining the baby in my belly. That was a fun, concrete talk that just flowed. But since there are no more baby's coming this way, little man hasn't even thought to ask any questions.

No comments: