Friday, July 24, 2009

Sick day...

So I have a sickie in the house. Little Pixie is sick just before her big weekend out in Atlanta. Poor pumpkin. I declared no school today so she can recover. So I'm allowing TV - which I will regret for little not sickie as he'll be totally amped up later, I'm sure. The bonus is it's The Magic School Bus on Discovery Kids. I can even convince myself they may learn some science!

Yesterday we finished up Archeologists Dig for Clues. The littles LOVED it! There is a section where they discuss a burned dog, which opened the door for us to discuss how different cultures honor their dead. I thought it may bother them a bit but in the end they seemed quite pleased that the peoples in the book loved their dog enough to honor him.

We are also nearing the end of Charlotte's Web. We all know what happens with Charlotte, but I find myself really dreading getting there. I think there may be some tears from all of us!

We also had a neat little surprise this week, in that Little Pixie's independent reading was on the same topic as the Gospel reading Wednesday. It was a nice full circle moment for her with the realization that Mass doesn't occur in some abstract vaccuum that doesn't relate to the outside world. Very nice.

I am now off to concentrate a bit on actual HOMEMAKING which can fall by the wayside on these busy days. Hopefully I'll have something to show for it at the end of the day!

No comments: