Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Week of Breakfast

So this week I am all about breakfast. Part of this challenge is to get the idea of cold cereal out of my little people's brains as the only breakfast option. The other part of it is just the idea that a warm, hearty breakfast is a fabulous way to start the day as a family. This week is a perfect week to commit to a daily practice because hubby has a little later hours. I don't have to wake much earlier than normal - huge plus! I'm taking it morning by morning but thus far the menu has been as follows:

Sun: scrambled eggs, grits, oranges

Mon: blueberry muffins, banana

Tue: wholewheat pancakes, bacon, oranges

Wed: (planning) sausage english muffins, and some sort of fruit - maybe strawberries or blueberries.

Thur: (planning) pumpkin oatmeal

We are still avoiding dairy so I'm in a little outside of my comfort zone. No yogurt parfaits or milk based smoothies... but we'll work it out.

I have to say that one of the reasons that I haven't been preparing a large breakfast is I thought it would just be a huge amount of work in the morning. I haven't found this to be the case. I still have dishes of course. I usually made eggs for myself and anyone else who wanted them before anyway. So now my pan is just a bit bigger. But the biggest plus is that the kids have just chimed in with the normal lunch & dinner chores of setting & clearing the table... which wasn't always the case before. This is very helpful and a great team building activity first thing in the morning.

So this is our challenge for the week... I'd love to hear about others breakfast routines & menus!

No comments: