Saturday, October 31, 2009

Lapbooking... taking the plunge..

So I try to avoid fads in general. I think normally they are more hype than substance. I thought of lapbooking as one of those fads. I just didn't get it. I thought it looked like busy work or at best some arts and crafts that look good in a portfolio. I should also note that I don't like tons of prep-work or any activities that require constant supervision and interaction by me. I'm not lazy, promise. It's just that schooling both, along with normal household duties takes up enough time. All I need is some fad adding to my to-do list.

Enter little man. He desperately wants to "do school" as much as his sister. The problem is that he's not ready for formal academics. He has plenty of time in life for school. PreK should be all fun & play. We do work on regular preschool activities but he seems to be speeding through them quickly, learning his alphabet, numbers, shapes, colors, etc. So... dum, dum, dum... a little learning busy work found some acceptance.

I started by visiting homeschoolshare.com which a very dedicated lapbooker recommended as the end all be all lapbooking resource. She was right, I can completely get lost for hours exploring favorite books and themes. We decided to start with a favorite nursery rhyme, Humpty Dumpty.
This is the sequencing book Little Man worked on. We have since cut it up and assembled as a little book that he can read all by himself! We also worked on a cut & paste picture - scissor skills, E picture & words - letter recognition, and a color activity.

In the frenzy of all of this lapbooking, I also found some little books to reinforce some of Little Pixie's skills...

She loved this little Halloween subtraction book.

So in the end, I'm not going to go lapbooking crazy and make it a huge part of our daily activities.. but I did find enough of value to incorporate it as fun enrichment.

2 comments:

Sherrie said...

We've done several from lapbooks from Homeschool Share. I've also ordered several from Hands of a Child. We only do them as supplements in science because Caleb LOVES animals. So, I'll throw a lapbook in to take a break from his science book. They can be time consuming. We're about to start one on lizards this week. Should be fun...

Jennifer said...

I'm trying to get a handle on the time consuming part. I've never heard of Hands of a Child. I'll have to check into it!