Sunday, November 8, 2009

Loving Correction

"Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid." ~ Proverbs 12:1

So I don't love correction.. sometimes it frosts my shorts. But we all have flaws and I'm working on it. I had a small victory in this and thought I'd share =)

2 days ago our kitchen flooded. Someone left the water jug sticking out a little too much when getting their last drink for the night. When the door shut, it hit the lever just enough to create a trickle. That trickle over 8 hours filled the kitchen with a couple of gallons of water. The good news is that our kitchen is tile with a couple of old rag rugs. The rugs seemed to drink most of it up. After cleaning up the mess, we put out the rugs to dry in the sun.

I'm going to pause for a moment and share a bit about our neighborhood. It's not a great one. At one time it was off base housing for military personnel. It has since filled with retirees, civilian personnel and now many off the street folks. There is a serious lack of supervision by parents - many are single parents who are away working, some are probably a little too trusting of the gates around us, and at least one is in prison. My hubby and I are the neighborhood parents. All the toys are out in the yard. Our kids and every other one, rides the bikes, and more while we supervise. If a kid needs a drink they knock on the door and it's handed out. Just please leave the cup. You know what I mean...

So yesterday between the toys in the yard and the rugs on the driveway... I get a citation from management to clean up my act.

I wanted to hit the roof. I felt like hey, cut me some slack! I'm parenting all of the neighborhood kids - which granted is easier since most are now in school, teaching my own, and dealing with a huge mess in the kitchen! But instead I took a deep breath and thanked God for the obvious opportunity to love correction. My yard could be cleaned up. And while I thought of it, I had let some of the inside stuff - kids rooms, homeschooling supplies, sewing projects - get a little out of hand as well.

So I got to work. Hubby got home and looked at me like I was insane. I declared a declutter party and everyone was working. We finished in record time. After all of the work, we decided to order out so we could just enjoy one another. We played kickball until the food arrived and had more fun than we have in quite a while.

I can't say that I loved the correction. I can say that keeping my mouth shut and doing the work necessary to correct the situation had a definite pay off. Instead of wasting energy arguing, explaining, complaining, we had time to enjoy one another. It might be wishful thinking that my children registered the example of quiet obedience as well.

No comments: