Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Don't be a square...


So I love, love, love my bread machine. Long gone are the days of Mondays being breadmaking days. Hubby coming home to a kitchen of flour and 2 or 3 frech loaves for the week. That all ended the day hubby came home and Little Man (very little then) was sprinkling flour down the floor vents :( I was busy kneeding in the other room and helping Little Pixie with her loaf. So that Christmas I was gifted with the bread machine :) I love, love, love it. Have I mentioned that? But I hate the square shape!! They are not conducive to sandwiches, the toaster... anything. So often I buy bread **hangs head in shame** unless I'm going to use a recipe that calls for it to be shaped and then baked OR we're having soup because then you just dip it. But I have a friend that has encouraged me to try it as dough only and then bake it in the oven. Which I finally tried last night - H-E-A-V-E-N!!!

After dough only, put in a bread pan to rise. I let mine rise in the cold oven with the light on for a little warmth. The turn oven on to 350 and bake until it sounds hollow. Mmmm... Now off to have some for breakfast!! Maybe I'll toast it!

3 comments:

Sherrie said...

I need to learn how to make bread. Everyone does it, but me. LOL! I don't know if I want the bread machine or if I want to just use a loaf pan. Hmmm...any easy and fool-proof recipe for white bread? :)

Jennifer said...

Girl, I made bread by hand for years... ya gotta get a bread machine. Even if you do just as I did and mix the dough in the machine and then bake it in a loaf. Especially with two littles and homeschooling, bread from scratch by hand is the way to go!! Or I guess if you have a big Kitchenaid w/ a dough hook. I guess some people use that... but you might still need to knead.. I'm not sure. Maybe me girlfriend the bread expert "Deniece" will weigh in!

Jennifer said...

**Should say by hand from scratch is NOT the way to go.. you have enough time demands.. babysitting dough might not be a high priority. But I could be wrong. The bread I started with is at Hillbilly Housewife. Love that site.