Friday, November 5, 2010

To Turn or Not To Turn...


We've always turned some of our plant remains into the soil to add back some nutrients for upcoming years. It's my hubby's experience that tells us to do this and we've never known to have a problem with the practice. However I picked up this book at the library - Month-By-Month Gardening in Georgia and it says not to turn. The reasoning is that the plants from this year can harbor pests and disease to carry into next season. That certainly makes sense but again is totally new to me. Seeing as we've had so many problems with pests this year, I think we will err on the side of caution and actually remove all of this years plants.

As to the book itself, I picked it up looking for a garden fix even in November. I love it. It has all sorts of things to keep me busy year round. I also noticed that there is a new addition out, which might be added to my Christmas list!!

2 comments:

Carol@simple_catholic said...

I just added this book to my wish list!

Being new to Georgia, I didn't do a garden this year but I want to get one going again. :)

Jennifer said...

Carol, I'm not sure where you're coming from but those of us that have relocated from the Midwest have found Georgia gardening to be VERY different! It's a challenge but definitely rewarding!