Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Book of John Study, Chapter 1

So my home school loop sent out a daily devotional referencing John's Gospel and his witnessing. Specifically how John came to know Jesus and the power of that relationship drove him to share Jesus with others. The idea is that acquainting ourselves with John's telling through slow prayerful reading and reflection we might ignite the same fire of conviction within ourselves.

I love the idea and am committing myself to reading the Book of John in one chapter a day. I hope to have in sites that influence my life, though I warn you - I am not profound!! But I'm guessing that some of you will have some wonderful thoughts to share. I don't know that I'll have time to post every day, especially with the new semester starting.. but I am completely committed to the reading, prayer and reflection and encourage you to do the same. And by all means SHARE with me, your friends, your neighbor, your postman... whomever!!!

So in today's reading, the verse that caught me was John 1:50-51

Jesus said to him, "Do you believe because I told you that I saw you under the fig tree? You will see greater things than that." Then he said to him, "Truly, I tell all of you with certainty, you will see heaven standing open and the angels of God going up and coming down to the Son of Man."

Which to me just shouts, "You ain't seen nothin' yet!" Or maybe that's that's just me :o) Seriously, Jesus told Nathanael that he'd seen him under the fig tree. This little statement made a believer out of Nathanael. Something so small impressed them yet Jesus was to go on and do such bigger miracles. He's curing the sick, raising the dead and saving sinners.

Today we look for miracles. Many find them but too many say they don't exist or are rare. Is it because we are too small minded? Are we looking for someone to see us under a fig tree when God is working on our hearts? Maybe in our society where the "little" - being status or material goods - has become "big" we've lost sight of the true big God's work in our hearts and lives. We're missing out on the miracles around us due to that lack of focus.

Today I'm working on my focus...
So how about you?

No comments: