Monday, December 27, 2010

Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins

This series of books has captivated my family for the last couple of weeks. Hubby read the series first and it killed him that I wasn't even reading them. ~Of course not by choice, I was amidst finals week and therefore unable to find much pleasure reading time. Well now I've finally finished the series - I had to burn through the last book in a day just due to the suspense of it all. Suzanne Collins continues to keep me completely captive to her story telling. I'm prepared to go without food, sunlight and even sleep to follow her tales.

In all honesty, I was prepared to hate this series. Often when I so love one work by an author, the other works pale in comparison. I find it difficult to even fully engage. Yet that was not the case at all with Gregor the Overlander. The Hunger Games are still by far my favorite, but Gregor is a safe second. I did have troubles imagining the main character as 11, in my mind's eye he stayed 13... I couldn't help it. And I was disappointed with the abrupt finish. I like a little follow through in my endings, I guess.

But all in all I'm excited for the day - in the not too distant future, that I can share this series with my children. Due to the subject matter, I do think we'll start with Gregor & work our way up to the Hunger Games trilogy.

No comments: