Wednesday, December 29, 2010

John Chapter 2

Loved today's chapter... I must admit that 2:15 is one of my favorites. If nothing other than for the sake of answering the old: What Who Jesus Do? with the reminder that flipping tables and kicking everyone out is always an option ;o)

15 Making a whip out of cord, he drove them all out of the Temple, sheep and cattle as well, scattered the money changers' coins, knocked their tables over

16 and said to the dove sellers, 'Take all this out of here and stop using my Father's house as a market.'

17 Then his disciples remembered the words of scripture: I am eaten up with zeal for your house.

Seriously I love this because it reminds me of how much Jesus shared his passion for Our Father. We hear and love the Lamb of God: "Let the little children come unto me" or "turn the other cheek." But this Jesus is the Lion!! He's flippin' tables and boldly declares his victory.

18 The Jews intervened and said, 'What sign can you show us that you should act like this?'

19 Jesus answered, 'Destroy this Temple, and in three days I will raise it up.'

20 The Jews replied, 'It has taken forty-six years to build this Temple: are you going to raise it up again in three days?'

21 But he was speaking of the Temple that was his body,

Even Mike Tyson's bold smack talk (pre-facial tattoos) has nothin' on our Lord's challenges. This is zeal!! This passion for Our Lord and His House, I can see how this lit a fire within the disciples. Imagine being there?! Even now just reading about it has me energized!

So today I will continue to focus on the changes within my heart and heart connections (chapter 1) and will hold the fire of Jesus in my heart (chapter 2)...

Honestly I enjoy pondering all of this so much that even a chapter a day seems like too much too fast!! I laugh that I thought it would be too slow. But to really hold it in my heart to allow time for reflection and actual self improvement... it's beginning to feel like spiritual boot camp!!

2 comments:

Jeanetter said...

I read it this morning also-great chapter! And the flipping tables and throwing folks out...sometimes ya just gotta do it. :)

Jennifer said...

Sometimes drastic times call for drastic measures right ;o) Glad you are reading along too!! Hopefully some other folks will chime in.. John is amazing!