Thursday, December 30, 2010

John Chapter 3

Well it isn't impossible to read chapter 3 without a pause at 3:16 right? You don't have to be a Christian to have "John 3:16" branded on your brain... only a sports fan, though that's no guarantee that you actually know what the verse says. So just in case here it is:

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

That pretty much clears it up right? If there were a math sentence it would read: You + Jesus = eternal life.

The following verse is the one I intend to hold in my heart today.

John 3:20
For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be exposed.

I don't want to get too personal but let me just say that for me, this verse is a reminder to evaluate behavior. I love what I call transparancy. I like for all of my actions and words to be open. This has always been my interpretation of keeping in the light and out of darkness. It is important that I begin to use this criteria to evaluate my relationships with others. Anytime I have ever been emotionally burned by others, it has been a direct hit from something in the darkness - either on my part or theirs. - Hey, lets face it, we're all sinners right? BUT I intend to dwell in the light and need to make sure my friends dwell there with me.

In addition, I need to plow through my thoughts... what is hiding in the darkness there? Hidden anger or resentment? Ill-will? Those things need to see the light of day so they may be exposed and offered up to Jesus for resolution. Yuck... I liked the first two days taskings better... I already know what I have to work on for today and it's not fun.

No comments: