Tuesday, January 4, 2011

John Chapter 6

I have some favorites, which I'll throw in at the bottom of my post, but there is one section that is of utmost importance to me:

54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.
55 For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink.
56 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them.

This is why I am Catholic. This is also something difficult to explain in a non-offensive manner here in the south. Church invitations come from neighbors, friends, co-workers - you name it. I, we - my family, love and appreciate the invitations. We love that many folks that we've only known for a short time care enough about us to offer heart felt personal invitations. I'm not talking about random strangers knocking on doors - though we get those too... I'm talking about real friends that aren't working on their evangelism button or patch or what have you - that really just are sharing. We love it. And I'm sure their churches are all awesome and welcoming and full of other wonderful people just like them. But my Catholic church has Jesus in the flesh. How could I ever know that and fail to show up?

My other favorites from John 6 are:
27 Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For on him God the Father has placed his seal of approval.”

28 Then they asked him, “What must we do to do the works God requires?”

29 Jesus answered, “The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.”

and last but certainly not least:
43 “Stop grumbling among yourselves,” Jesus answered.

2 comments:

SuzyQ said...

I just found you from Sherrie's blog. I hope you and the family are doing well. I miss sharing laughs with you!

Jennifer said...

Hey Suzy!! Our family was just chatting about your family and wondering about your transition... We miss you all as well! We're practically neighbors ~ we really should get all of us together.