Friday, January 7, 2011

Time Mgmt - I've totally failed..

.. though my ever supportive hubby says I'm succeeding. I guess that remains in the eye of the beholder. I was on such a roll right?! What happened you ask? Jessica, freakin' Darling ran into Marcus Flutie... yep I lost my day to fictional characters that swim in my brain whenever the book is not in my hands. What book? Well in this case:
I finished the fourth book in the series a couple of days ago. I was content. But like a junkie, that contentment doesn't last long. I tried to put it off with this nonfiction:
Which is amazing. I don't want to take anything away from the quality of this book, however it is a obviously a very heavy topic. And I still had Jessica & Marcus dancing around in my head. Everytime I read the Elizabeth Smart book I am overcome with emotion.. in a good way surprisingly enough. The tight knit family and community are both inspirational. But like a junkie, little thoughts crept in my head.. I could control myself this time.. I could get book 5 and alternate it with Elizabeth's book. Sort of lighten the mood. Or better yet, I could save Elizabeth's book for during the day and read Jessica & Marcus in the evening before bed - in an attempt to shove aside the anxiety I feel for Elizabeth's mother, Lois. Or I could divy them up, 10 pages of one book 10 pages of the other. Either way, I have the deadline of next semester arriving on Monday and I need finality before I can move on... did I mention I'm a junkie.

So yesterday around noon, I did it. I obtained book 5. I'm pleased to say that I was able to care for my children and make it to work on time. Otherwise I pressed my nose into the book for a glorious literary fix!! I finished the book last evening and am ready to move on.
You see, I think I failed because I was unable to finish this book in moderation. My Hubby thinks I succeeded because I knew that if I didn't do it now it would interfere with my semester later.

Sometimes I have concerns that my going to work in a library is like sending a drunk to tend bar.

1 comment:

Jeanette said...

You are hilarious!