Thursday, January 27, 2011

WW friendlier homemade bread

I love homemade bread but imagine my shock/horror when I learned that my favorite homemade bread recipe was 4 Pointsplus!! Geez oh pete that's dessert! So I've been on a quest to find a more Weight Watcher friendly homemade bread recipe. It has been a huge challenge. Flour, Sugar, Butter - these are not staples to a healthy whole food diet right? But bread is part of my diet so the search continued... a friend provided me with her favorite bread machine recipe. You'll notice that the above loaf is square, and you know how I feel about squares BUT since this is a new recipe to me I wanted to follow it exactly... you may want to as well. It is a huge fluffy loaf. Mine is a bit dark as I forgot to change the crust setting to light as the recipe recommends. Also the recipe calls for Splenda and I substituted honey in an effort to stay with whole food... but without further delay...
Best Low Carb Bread Machine Bread (official title not mine)
1/2 c water
1 egg
1 T butter
2 Splenda (again I used 2 T honey)
1/3 c ground flax seeds
1/4 c soy flour
3/4 c vital wheat gluten flour
1 t dried yeast
Use the following settings: 1# loaf, basic white, light crust. Add to machine per its standard instructions. Allow to cool before removing from the pan. Store in the refrigerator.

2 comments:

Jeanette said...

How does it taste?

Jennifer said...

I love it. It's light and fluffy, not at all like the sandpaper I expected. I like a flavorful bread like rye or pumpernickel, though this doesn't quite reach that degree. It's great toasted.