Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Heads up for a great read-a-long

I just picked up The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates by Wes Moore. It's unusual for me to buy books I haven't read ~ weird right? I like to read for free from my local library. But if I love a book enough to share or that I may reference it in the future, then I buy it. Well I'm currently finishing my The Damascus Way book... I know it's slow going during the semester isn't it!! :-( And found myself with some time to kill at a book store. I figured I'd look for Bumped by Megan McCafferty - which oddly enough I haven't read either. But I loved her Jessica Darling series so much I'm sure I'll love it. But I didn't see it on the shelf.. which means I'll have to order it.

But as I milled about I came across the Wes Moore book. Which totally speaks to me as a parent. I seem desperate to understand what happens to determine a kids destiny - success or trouble? I don't buy that it's only class or privilege.. almost every family has one or two or twenty "black sheep"... a cousin, brother, sister, uncle who's travelled the wrong path. What determines the path for those with similar beginnings? I don't think that I'll have a definitive answer at the end of this journey of two lives... but it will give me more to chew on for sure. After reading the first paragraph I knew I had to continue on...

"This is the story of two boys living in Baltimore with similar histories and an identical name: Wes Moore. One of us is free and has experienced things that he never even knew to dream about as a kid.  The other will spend every day until his death behind bars for an armed robbery that left a police officer and father of five dead.  The chilling truth is that his story could have been mine. The tragedy is that my story could have been his.  Our stories are obviously specific to our two lives, but I hope they will illuminate the crucial inflection points in every life, the sudden moments of decision where our paths diverge and our fates are sealed. It's unsettling to know how little separates each of us from another life altogether." ~ Wes Moore.

So get the book!!! I'm going to start reading it in the next couple of weeks and will need someone to chew it over with!!!

No comments: