Friday, March 18, 2011

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls


I just finished this book off the other night. Honestly I think it is a must read for any adult children of alcoholics. Jeannette completely captures the chaos and hilarity ~ often mixed together ~ that comes from substance abuse. Her life is an extreme case of chaos and an inspiring tale of triumph. But her retelling is not one of pity or whoa is me.. it's completely endearing. She's captured the essense of childhood memories that seem ludicrous yet totally accurate at the same time. I completely envy her ability to do so.

This isn't a book that toots her horn about how capable her and her siblings are or ravages her parents with bitterness. But it's not exactly light reading either ~ there were some parts that rendered me sleepless. But the end result is I've hugged my kids a little tighter and laughed a little more. 

3 comments:

Sherrie said...

That was a very good read. I read it a few years back, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Glad you enjoyed it as well.

Jeanette said...

So glad you enjoyed! And gals named 'Jeannette' can't be all that bad ;)

Jennifer said...

:-) Those Jeanettes are something else - that's for sure lol. Did I hear someone say that there is a sequel to this book? Or was that Angela's ashes?