Sunday, April 24, 2011

Happiness is a ton of strawberry jam...


As with all things, we have a little back story.... We had a groupon for a great u-pick place near by. So on my birthday I declared jam weekend!!! We spent my actual birthday picking 13 pounds of strawberries Mmmm.. for only $9 *sweet*. Then the next day we washed, mashed and cooked up some jam. But we didn't plan ahead well enough I guess... or we just had different plans. You see I'd never canned jam before and wasn't sure of my recipe. Hubby grew up watching his mom can everything out on the farm. She didn't do anything little. Everything was BIG batches. So while I wanted to do a small batch to test the recipe.. hubby declared that double the work. "Let's just do it once and get it over with" ~ he says.

So we get to work... only to find out our largest pan isn't big enough. So we had to split the almost all combined recipe into halves... unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your perspective)... the split was unequal. So we have 1/2 the jars of thick strawberry jam and 1/2 the jars of strawberry syrup ~ which I might add is fabulous on homemade waffles :-) So the bad news is I don't have jam for all of my friends like I'd hoped. But good news is that sometimes mistakes make life sweeter!

2 comments:

Jeanette said...

Soon will be blueberry and blackberry season...you can make more jam then!

Jennifer said...

I'm planning on pie filling for blueberry season :-) Mmmm