Monday, April 4, 2011

Transitions again...

I've been at home for 2 years now and am now returning to work. It's an odd transition of sorts because everyone here has only known me as a stay at home mom. I think it's part of my identity to them. However, in my self perception the return to work is a return to what had become our dream. When my hubby and I were newly married we would fantasize about what life would be like in 10 years. He would be retired. We'd hopefully have children. We'd live some place different. We'd be a 2 parent household (as opposed to the 1 parent household we often seemed to be with his many TDYs), I'd have the opportunity to "be" whatever it is I wanted to be. At the time we thought that meant becoming a corporate accountant somewhere... but in practice it meant becoming a wish coordinator ~ which might I add totally trumped corporate accountant as far as dream jobs go.

So back to today's real life... the move to "some place different" threw a wrench into our fantasy life. But as often happens in real life, we pulled up our boot straps and created our new normal. Which has finally gone full circle to our comfort zone of my working part-time, hubby working and kids in what we believe is a great school.

What makes this so interesting is the difference in friendships. You know the girl scout tune...

Make new friends,
keep the old,
one is silver and the other gold.

My silver friends see me and my children as starting a new life ~ and have mostly been great in supporting this grand adventure. My golden friends are taking a deep sigh of relief with me. They recognize this is a sign that we have finally settled in enough to return to normal. I find the whole transition and everyone's perceptions of it very interesting. Though sometimes, I think, it'd be more entertaining if it were happening to a character in a book & not actually me.

1 comment:

Jeanette said...

I hope you know I support you and your family one hundred percent!