Friday, May 27, 2011

Just because you can doesn't mean you should....

My public service announcement is for parents today. Every parent is storming the library with test scores in search of summer reading on their kid's reading level. Awesome. I'm glad you are excited about reading. I'm glad your kid excels at it. I'm even more enthusiastic that the library occurred to you as a destination to support this skill development. Where's the but....

Just because the test monkey says your early elementary student can read young adult books doesn't mean s/he should.

I'm not censoring you or your kids. You bring it up, I check it out. That's my job. But I am not afraid to ask mom or dad whether they are aware of content variation in juvenile and young adult books. Just because a kid can read it, doesn't mean they are emotionally mature enough to digest it. I mean really, I'm in my 30s and I enjoy reading young adult. Do you really want your 2d/3d grader reading what I'm reading... The Hunger Games, Twilight, Peaches...

So thus goes my new summer rant of:

All reading serves the purpose of building skills.

If your child is a S level and picks a Q or U level book - don't freak out! Let them read for the fun of it. It's summer reading... the text books are shut for the year. Reading in and of itself is a valuable activity. Enjoy it!! You and your kids will have a great summer and they will still somehow be ready for the following school year.

**Now the only thing left to do is determine if it's my inner librarian, inner homeschooler, inner bookworm or some combo of all that has the knee jerk reaction... because I'm sure at some point I'll have to just shut her up and check out some books.

No comments: