Thursday, July 28, 2011

Sisters of Holmes County

I love, love, love the recent rush of Amish books. They remind me of home. Ohio has a considerable Amish community and they were often around our small town or surrounding areas in their buggies, selling at farmers markets, and don't forget the Amish restaurants!!! Due to the stress lately I just felt an intense desire to be "home"... so I picked up the Holmes County Series from Wanda Brunstetter. I've not read anything for adults by her before, but the kids and I enjoyed her "School's out!" for kids.


 There is also a book 3. The stories are very charming. At times the plots can get very predictable, which is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. But her ability to make the relationships come alive more than makes up for it.  Brunstetter certainly captures the essense of human existance, whether one is Amish or not ~ working together, building relationships and coping with hardships are events we all have to deal with!

I have not yet gotten to book 3. It's a grand debate within myself. I like how book 2 ended and so I'm content. However, I love that each book in the series focuses on another sister as opposed to concentrating the entire series on one main character. For me, this means that each book isn't just more of the same, each offers something unique and of value to itself.

Whether I make time for Book 3 A Sister's Hope within the 2 week school break or move on to Maze Runner will have little to do with my enjoyment of the series and more to do with the persuasive speech of my hubby :) He's just finished Maze Runner and the sequel and can't stop chattering about it. Either way, Wanda Brunstetter has joined my minds group of faithful authors that I know I can pick up any book and enjoy the read :)

1 comment:

Barb said...

I'd never heard of Amish books before until I went to a book swap hosted by a friend. Someone had brought a bunch of them and several people were raving about how good they were. I brought one home, but haven't read it yet. I'll have to read it as soon as I finish the book I'm reading now. Thanks for the good review!