Thursday, October 6, 2011

Life Lesson

One night this past summer my little man was resisting bed time. I'm talking crying, body jerking that came dangerously close to flopping on the floor, sometimes even stomping feet. Let me tell ya, I felt the exact same way. It'd been a long day for both of us. He had spent the day climbing hay bales, chasing chickens and probably slinging rocks into the pond. I had spent the day in hard physical farm labor. My patience for his resistance of bed time was at an all time low.

I cycled the little guy through the shower... him crying or whining the whole time. We managed to get his jammies on and say prayers with some degree of reverence. The final step was teeth brushing. He drug his feet and complained. I had totally had it by this point, this is not my proudest parenting moment... so be warned.... I stomped into the bathroom. "At least when your crying, your mouth is open. Now I can brush your teeth myself." I loaded the tooth brush with toothpaste and commenced scrubbing each little tooth until it shined. Sure his resistance escalated a bit from the previous whininess to a more urgent panic... but let's face it...he'd alternated between whining, crying and foot stomping for the last 45 minutes. I paid him no mind... I had a job to do. This little person was too exhausted for his own good. This little boy needed bed STAT. So I helped him rinse his mouth and explained that if he could talk without whining or throwing a tantrum, I'd love to hear what he had to say.

"That's my sister's toothbrush." He said.

Well there ya go... here's your lesson. If you whine and stomp your feet about every little routine thing, the rest of us don't know when you have a valid complaint. 

1 comment:

Jeanette said...

Ain't that the truth! And talk about the word verification...last time I left you a comment, the word was 'cenis'....but I thought you might think I was a perv if I pointed out how close that was to another word. ;P