Tuesday, October 11, 2011

My Mom Mission...

which I don't feel I can refuse to accept.... is to get these kids to eat lunch!!! Initially when they returned to school they gobbled up the cafeteria food. Of course it was gross junk food. Then their digestive systems went into revolt and they decided it wasn't worth it. So we started packing. The honeymoon stage of the sack lunch wore off quickly. Now the excitement of their friends is sooo much more entertaining that the food in front of them. I recall going through this a bit with my oldest when she first started school But I was a stay at home mom then, so I had time to make the prettiest little lunches. That's not the case now....

So I'm looking at incremental steps.... I want them to be eating food like over at the veganlunchbox blog. It's fun, nutritious and certainly takes care of any digestive revolts... But I'm a realist... my kids routinely surprise me with their finicky appetites. Which our house rule is: eat what is in front of you or go hungry... thus my skinny kids. Well and in my defense they do take after their skinny father.

Back to the mission at hand ~ a portable, fun lunch that the kids will eat. Hopefully nutritious though I'm willing to work my way there... And something that I can make a batch of to send over a couple of days of lunches instead of specially prepared each night. And tastes good cold. This mission seems trickier by the breath. This week's offering:


Corn Dog Muffins. Diced dogs baked in corn bread muffins. Today's lunch also included a round of cheese, snap peas & a gerber preschooler fruit snack. Cross your fingers.

4 comments:

Jeanette said...

Awesome idea! Did you just cut up hotdogs into corn muffin mix? Very cute. My kids always liked pasta salad in their lunches. Deconstructed pizza is fun too-cubes of mozzerella, bread sticks, marinara dipping sauce, pepperoni slices...the cold food thing is an obstacle, I know. :)

Carol@simple_catholic said...

That hotdog corn bread is a great idea!

I feel your pain with coming up with lunch ideas. I homeschool, but I still have a hard time coming up with fun and nutritious foods my son will eat - and I have access to an oven. :/

Jennifer said...

Love deconstructed pizza - I did a muffin tin monday called pizza on a stick once :) Kids loved it!

The trifecta of food: fun, nutritious & kids will eat it... ever illusive lol

JDaniel4's Mom said...

I have my fingers crossed. I bet this was a huge success. We love corn dog muffins at our house.