Saturday, December 31, 2011

My first batch of yogurt

And I feel like a rockstar :-) I used instructions provided from The Feast Nearby by Robin Mather.



Here's the basics, of course all accredited to Ms. Mather, though I must admit that due to my personality quirk, I NEEDED to read everything I could find on yogurt making before I actually did it. Some books just scared me. Her directions are straight forward and don't make me think that I'll had poisoned myself and our family when I'm finished ~ winner!

You need:
8 c milk
2 t plain cultured yogurt

Warm milk to 115 degrees in pot over low heat. Add cultured yogurt and stir well. I failed here.. or when I put it in jars because some of my jars are runny and some are thick. Pour the mixture into pint or quart size canning jars and set into a roasting pan filled with 2 inches of hot water.  
Place in oven with the door closed and only the light on for 6 to 8 hours. Lid and refrigerate when finished. And it really worked!! I had some for breakfast and haven't needed to be rushed to the ER :) Sweet success.

Now I'll admit, I'm not a huge yogurt eater. My kids are though - which is what prompted this little activity. But now that I have all of this yummy plain yogurt, I want to EAT it!! So how do you like your yogurt?

No comments: