Tuesday, January 10, 2012

sprechen sie deutsch?

Me neither. But my hubby does, or should I say did? He took German in highschool and then lived there for a couple of years as a young adult. That was years ago though and he no longer considers himself fluent. Though every once in a while he'll share a fairy tale or some other randomness that creeps into his brain. And you know how you never really know what will stick with your kids and what just goes right by them? Some apparently stuck along the way...

Last Friday my kindy kid decided he only spoke German. He knows 2 sentences in German: Hello, my name is Hanzel; and Will you help me with my rucksack?

He made it through the morning only repeating those sentences in response to questions. He had every intention of continuing throughout the day. I thought it was hilarious... and so did my husband... and most of my friends. Though I did have one friend that thought perhaps I should have discouraged him as it would be disruptive in school. This brings up an interesting thought for me...

The day or two prior to this the kindy class had recesses canceled so they could work on paragraphs. Now I am a little old school in my relaxed 'it's kindy' viewpoint so I'm used to thinking things have gotten crazy when others are in full agreement. But I think we can all agree that full day kindy kids need their recess more than they need to work on paragraphs! I think the little guy was just going to his own little happy place where I wasn't going to disturb him.

Apparently he kept the act going for quite a while at school and his teacher was tolerant. So parents - how involved do you get in your children's behavior? Would you have discouraged little Hanzel?

2 comments:

Jeanette said...

I can't believe they are writing paragraphs in kindy!! Wow! ("Hallo. Ich heisse Jeanette.")

Jennifer said...

I know right?! They aren't too horribly strict about the structure but they are definitely paragraphs. (Bonjour! Je m'appelle Jennifer. Je suis désolée, je parle tres mal le deutsch.) ~ every frenchman just became sick w/ that sentence. lol!