Sunday, February 26, 2012

Fun lunch of the week


Fun lunch of the week: Nachos :-)

For all of the complaining of my children about not liking "hot" foods cold... they sure did wolf down some lunchables when they were offered!!! So I'm calling their bluff. Nachos it is... and they seem excited about it.

The sneaky ingredient in this lunch is salsa. Lots of salsas have sugar added :-( I like Pace because it's sugar free!! As you can tell, natural fruit sugars are still on the menu and we haven't found any significant issues with natural fruit sugar. I may consider trying out a bit of honey or maple syrup to see if it's just the overwhelming amount of refined sugar hidden in so many things that causes our focus issues. 

BTW - after looking at the picture, the lunch seems a little scant so I'd like to point out that both children receive a snack 1 hr before lunch. Really... some scheduling genius figured that out, but we've learned to plan accordingly. Smaller lunches = less waste.

4 comments:

Sherrie said...

There are so many "diet" issues that I'd love to try with Caleb. I just don't know where to start sometimes. I was going to ask about honey or natural fruit sugars. I may have to check into eliminating some sugar just to see if it may help his tics...we do our best to eliminate all artificial sweeteners, but it's tough b/c they are in EVERYthing these days. :( I'm learning more and more that homemade is best. :)

Jeanette said...

Yay! A fun lunch post! You inspire me, dear friend. :) I love Pace, it's the best salsa. Cause it ain't made in New York City. haha! I'm with you on the portions...

Jennifer said...

Sherrie - sugar is in everything!!! Grr... I was so bothered to find it in pretzels even! Our current method is avoiding sugar, hfcs and similar ingredients period. Molasses, honey, are allowed as long as they aren't in the first 5 ingredients. Natural fruit sugar only if it's in the actual fruit or juice not junk food sweetened with them! :) Good luck!!

Jennifer said...

Jeanette - girl I wish I had time to post more :) I love swapping lunch ideas with you!