Saturday, July 21, 2012

Ready for a literary journey?

So not very long ago a book came through for another patron that caught the staff's collective eye:

Two of us ended up reading Slow Love by Dominique Browning it at the same time. We both have very different lives but both found a strong life lesson that spoke to us. For me, it was the necessity to take my time. Learn to "take the repeats" in life, even when they feel utterly intolerable since I have a million other things I'd like to do... The book has a lesson tucked in it for everyone, I'm sure of it. In fact, I'm actually buying it because I think all of my friends need to read it. Her lesson was that she's worth 'it'. I'm sure there are many more.

My next stop in the journey was with a patron:
I picked up, Growing Up Amish by Ira Wagler,  just because I love all things Amish. He certainly shares a LOT of the Amish culture and a bit of the religion. But for me the value was in the lesson that he learned through his waffling through life. I find myself often waffling through life - one foot at home and one in the workplace. It's a difficult balance that I haven't yet mastered. Though his life circumstance is completely different, there are certainly lessons we can all learn from his experience. Oh and his realization about faith is inspiring but I'll let you read that yourself.

The continued fascination with the peace that Ira discovers brought me to:


Amish Peace by Suzanne Woods Fisher. I love this book! It's broken down into topic and even lessons. My favorite part is that the whole thing is built around the idea ~ Don't envy what we have, build your own! ~ Want a simple life, build one. Want Amish unwavering faith, become unwavering in your faith. Wish you had our community? Build up your community... I love my life and who I am, but that doesn't mean that sometimes I don't think that it could be better. I love that this book helped me focus on making me better instead of trying to be something I'm not.. and the whole thing tied in nicely with the previous two selections: the amish extension is obvious from Growing Up Amish, and slowing down to enjoy life and one another from Slow Love.

Then as luck would have it, another library patron requested:

365 Thank yous by John Kralik was just the right dose of gratitude in the mix of self improvement! This book chronicles his journey from almost wishing he'd been hit by a bus to rescue himself from his life to a full life that he enjoys. His committment to gratitude was inspirational and inspired me to take all of the inner workings of peace and enjoyment that had developed over the earlier books and sprinkle these in others' hearts like a Johnny Appleseed of contentment.

Hopefully you will decided to enjoy one or all of these selections and develop your own inner Johnny Appleseed of contentment. Let me know if you do!




No comments: